No tears will be shed amongst most of the gay community as the notoriously bigotted Pope Benedict announces that he's off. His long, long eight years at the head of the Catholic Church will be remembered by most of us for his demonic rants about gay people, bizarrely uttered against the ever unfolding story of endemic child abuse by his priests. A sigh of relief passes around the globe as we bid farewell to another past-it reactionary, completely out of touch with the world in which he lives.
Apparently he has been in touch with God a lot in reaching his decision. We could have saved him a lot of time on his kness. He should have gone on about day five of his catastrophic reign. Recent highlights of his tragic tenure follow.
1. In a message for World Day of Peace 2013, Pope Benedict XVI described same-sex marriage as a threat to justice and peace. The 85-year-old Catholic leader went on to suggest that same-sex marriage was "unnatural", adding that it would unleash harm on society.
2. Pope Benedict had shared his opposition to same-sex marriage before. Earlier in the year, the Associated Press reported that the religious leader had denounced gay marriage as being "insidious and dangerous." Previously, he had called same-sex unions "a threat to humanity."
3. Further evidence of his complete disconnection from the world that the rest of us share came earlier in the week. The pontff was pictured giving a blessing to Rebecca Kadaga, the Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament, who had promised to pass the country’s notorious Anti-Homosexuality Bill as a “Christmas gift”.She will have blood on her hands if this hateful law is finally passed. So, too, Benedict, retired or not, will you!
4. Benedict had always condemned condoms and said they would do nothing to halt AIDS in Africa. But a change of tone came in 2010 as the Pope gave the example of a male prostitute using a condom, saying ''this can be a first bit of responsibility, to redevelop the understanding that not everything is permitted''. Did this mean that, at last, ears were opening to the real world in some corners of the Vatican? Don’t hold your breathe. “He's admitting that using a condom is a lesser evil than giving someone AIDS,'' Catholic commentator, Paul Collins said. Well, that was great then!! Lustralboy said "The Pope embraces condoms. But you have to become a male prostitute!" Thanks, Benedict!
5. Back in November 2010, gay rights campaigners in Barcelona achieved their kissing 'flashmob' for the Pope's visit. He didn't get it, apparently. He later railed against divorce and same-sex marriage, saying families were built on the "indissoluble love of a man and a woman". The tune, sadly, stayed the same, except it got shriller and more demented. Lustralboy had warned at the time: "He and his advisors really do need to wake up to the changed world that we live in. And to the one we're trying to create, free of intolerance in general and homophobia in particular!" The wake up call went unheeded.
Resignations from the papacy have happened before. But this is the first since 1415. Whether or not it begins to diminish the institutionalised homophobia endemic at the Vatican, Lustralboy still says: It didn't come a day too soon.
Just one final comment:
Join our mailing list
- October 1st, 2016
- August 10th, 2016
- March 19th, 2016
- February 3rd, 2016
- January 16th, 2016
- September 30th, 2015